Wednesday 24 February 2010

Lost in Translation?

As a way of paying homage to the native tongue here in Wales, I've put together a set of translations that I wish I'd known when I first moved to Cardiff:

1) Hello, how are you?
Helo, sut wyt ti?

2) How do I get to the Millenium Stadium?
Sut ydw i’n cyrraedd y stadiwm mileniwm?

3) Fifteen quid? This is a taxi, not a bloody Limousine!
Pymtheg punt? Tacsi yw hwn, nid bloody limo!

4) Point me to the nearest Pub, my good man.
Pwyntiwch fi i’r tafarn agosach, gwr caredig.

5) Those trainers are lush!
Mae’r trainers yna yn lush!

6) Shane Williams is God.
Mae Shane Williams yn dduw.

7) Can I borrow your umbrella?
Allai menthyg dy ymbarél?

8) Let's go to Roath Park and feed the ducks.
Dere, awn ni draw I Parc y Rhath I fwydo’r hwyaid.

9) Shall we get a kebab from Chippy Lane?
Ewn ni i nôl kebab o Chippy Lane?

10) Good night.

Nos da.

If those phrases don't come in handy when you're going about your business in the city, I'll eat my hat. Big thanks to Llinos, whose Welsh language skills and patience were invaluable!

P.S. Regarding question 8 - Miles @ Bicycle, Bicycle Designs and I are working this very minute on our collaboration (as promised in the previous post). Get ready to witness Roath Park as you've never seen it before...


No comments:

Post a Comment